AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't connect to Openfire server in different subnet

Question asked by Brent on Jun 27, 2017
Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 by Brent

OK, here are the specifics of my inquiry:

My Openfire server is the latest release and is located in subnet A.

My Spark IM client is the latest release and is located in subnet B.

I can't connect to the Openfire server in subnet A from any workstation in subnet B; however, I can connect to the Openfire server in subnet B if I connect my workstation directly to a switch located in subnet B.

Firewalls and antivirus are both disabled on my admin PC (subnet B) and the Openfire Server (subnet A). Running Wireshark on my admin PC, I see TCP Spurious Retransmission errors; however, when running Wireshark on the Openfire Server, I do not see anything hitting my Openfire Server on port 5222. Running Netstat on my Openfire Server, I confirmed that it is listening for traffic on port 5222. Our Sonicwall is not blocking anything between subnets A & B. I can successfully connect via Telnet to the Openfire Server on port 5269, but it fails if I try to connect on port 5222. I can ping the Openfire server from my admin PC. I can also access the admin console via ports 9090 & 9091 and I can RDP to the Openfire Server.

domainname.local = my local Active Directory domain name.

XMPP Domain = servername.domainname.local

Server Host Name (FQDN) = servername.domainname.local

I created SRV records for xmpp-client and xmpp-server under my Active Directory domain name in DNS even though I've been told that because both the XMPP domain name and the FQDN are the same that I wouldn't need to.

Anybody got any ideas? I've pretty much exhausted all ideas I have.

Outcomes