Mike

REST API Plugin: MUC affiliation update kicks all users

Discussion created by Mike on Sep 1, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 by Daryl Herzmann

Hi there,

I'm using the REST API Plugin to configure "team-internal" MUCs that are set to members-only. When a new user should be added to the channel, I send an update request to the REST API. The problem is that the Role update is implemented such that all roles are revoked first and requested roles are then re-added afterwards, which makes the server temporarily kick all users. While they're being re-added with the "member" role afterwards, their XMPP clients display a message saying that they have been removed from the channel due to an affiliation change, and they have to manually re-join all members-only channels.

I tracked down the problem to the method org.jivesoftware.openfire.plugin.rest.controller.MUCRoomController#setRoles. This method would have to read the list of current roles and compute a diff that it then needs to apply, instead of wiping and re-applying everything.

I'd be happy to help, provided that a potential PR is welcome and has the chance of being merged in a not-too-distant future (otherwise, I'd have to implement a workaround...)

Using Openfire 4.0.3.

Best regards,

Mike

Outcomes