I'm looking for some ideas, some people who have "been there, done that" ... I set up Openfire a couple years or so ago for a small number of users at my company. A couple of us had come from larger organizations and missed having IM ... kept this pretty basic ...Did not bother with LDAP integration ... managed users manually (less than a dozen) .. messed with IM gateway plugins .. just to see how it worked . It's been working just fine. Recently we were acquired by a much larger corp ... one change .. everybody goes to Exchange .. fine...
Then I see that portions of the corp run Office Communicator and I'm intrigued .. when I asked I was told it was too costly .. not everybody had it ... and that many in the division I'm in have started using AIM accounts to have access to each other (offices located from coast-to-coast). So I'm thinking .. why not use Openfire? So thats what I'm asking you guys .. some of you I'm assuming may have had the same questions .. made the analysis .. .. care to share?
So .. Why Openfire? Some questions & thoughts I had ..
1. in a multi-office environment .. one OF server in each or pick one and everybody uses it?
2. if multiple .. can they communicate? hows that work?
3. Running AD .. Spark w/SSO & AD (LDAP) integration .. a plus or a pain?
4. Better clients than SPARK? ..
5. IM .. open IM like AIM, MSN or Google .. potentially a problem? Is there a security advantage using a "closed" (in that we use it just internal) IM?
Certainly would like to hear from people who have more experience than I do...